Its been difficult watching and reading all these stories concerning the Hurricane Katrina disaster. I'd been pretty succesful in attempting to hide from it all. Then I watched Oprah this morning.
Someone had something about how taking a shower and having a hot meal made you feel like you were human again. I knew that feeling. Living in Heathrow for days and not knowing when I was going to be able to go home was an awful feeling. I mean, I had a roof over my head, running water, and English Bobbies with big guns so I was WAY luckier than these folks. But the day that they let us take a hot shower in the VIP area and offered us hot tea and bicuits - I felt like a queen.
Well, since this morning I've been on the horn calling, googlin' whatever... tryin.. tryin.. to find a place that needs an actual body as opposed to my non existent money to help out. I'm still waiting on a few places b/c it sounds like a few hundred other people might have got the same idea at the same time. Looks like I may have to get a group of MT (NOT masseuses) to volunteer b/c I can't seem to find a group to join myself.
And now just finding this quote from from the former First Lady while visiting the Astrodome, I'm bitter determined to help the "underprivileged" -
"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality," Barbara Bush said.
"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."
07 September 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I don't know where you are living or if you have transportation but Cindy Sheehan and the Veterans For Peace need volunteers. http://www.vfproadtrips.org/
I quoted Barbara Bush in a post on my blog as well. What a horrible woman.
Post a Comment