Is it horribly sad that I stay in touch with the world via a tranny English comedian? I'd signed up www.one.org last year at a concert I was working. I thought it interesting especially seeing Bono promoting the ideas on Oprah. Even now just writing up names of celebrities seems to take away from the importance of looking exactly happening in Africa. Luckily I got a bit more insight and little less glam on Fresh Air today.
I feel a bit guilty about my ignorance however I can't think of a more brilliant person to speak on the subject than Izzard. I happen to like him a bit more than Bono.
“Why am I involved in Make Poverty History? Anyone asked to get involved should want to – just out of common humanity. The six billion people in the world should all have an equal chance – we want to create a level playing field for rich and poor countries alike. I’m not sure the celebrities will help to change world leaders’ minds, but they raise awareness. It’s the people, the activists – all these people here at the rally today who make a difference. Will we make poverty history? It may not happen this week, but we can make a start on the road to overcoming poverty. The G8 could cancel the debt and grant more aid straight away. Trade justice may take a little longer. I would say to the G8: ‘Leave a legacy – make poverty history!’ - Eddie Izzard
2 comments:
Sadly, African governments need to change a whole lot before just "giving them aid" will work. Look at what's happened in the Sudan... Handing money to a corrupt government to feed their people just doesn't work. We need to find a different way to help them help themselves...
Blah blah blah. Feeling political. Water the big jade tree on the bookself, please. Thanks. See you later.
-A
whoa.
who are you and why are aren't you more drunk?
and jade tree watered...
Post a Comment