The can finally dance.
Wheaton College has finally lifted a ban on dancing on campus imposed since the FREAKING Civil War. That's through the Swing Era through Elvis and even Disco (remember Dizzy?). Man they even missed out on house parties.
Quote: Under the new set of rules, called the Community Covenant, students may dance, but should avoid behavior "which may be immodest, sinfully erotic or harmfully violent." Dude, I would so be in trouble... just within the dance itself. I don't think I could do it. I'd be crazed. I guess I wouldn't have known how important swing dancing is in my life. Perhaps I'd find another creative outlet somewhere else. Its disappointing to think how many people have missed out on the fun of dancing. Just because a group of people believed they were doing their fellow Christians a favor?
Makes me think of how I'd felt denied of what I enjoy, not because of a covenant, but because it wasn't accepted. Amazing how you're life is formed from a few disapproving looks. Or little comments. "You don't make alot of money being an artist, do you?" I remember being a conversation killer when I would tell my mother's friends that I was studying theatre. ok not entirely true. I'd get some comment about becoming a movie star. You wanna see a movie of this part of my life? Check out Double Happiness...
That might be a big reason why I don't bother trying to go to Filipino parties. What do I have to talk about? No I never did graduate from Loyola. Well, I'm still working on massage therapy. I feel like I know the first thing they think of is "masseuse." The "love you long time" kind. Not the "let me help you heal yourself" kind. Married? NO. and then it will pretty much ends there except to say that I look like I gained weight from the last time they saw me. *sigh* God bless 'em anyways...
14 November 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment